My Journey Through Blogging

I have found that blogging is awesome. There are clearly enless possibilities. I am thinking for the media center I would like to use a blog as an online book club for our 3rd and 4th grade students. My school currently serves PK - 4th. We do not use any sort of reading tracking system at my school, so not AR, Reading Counts, etc. The children at my school turned on to reading and my job primariliy is to fuel the fire so to speak. I think a technology component would really fuel the fire with the students.

Students could likst their favorite books with a review. I think that this would be a good way for students to find out about books that may not know about.

Other ideas - I like the idea of voting for favorite books although when I find out more about wiki's this could change.

I like the idea of students posting their own pigeon stories and sharing comments about others work. We currently creating our own pigeon stories now. I think that this will help with pre-reading, reading and creative writing.

I'm so excited to implement these ideas at my school!

6 comments:

Bill Gaskins said...

Your journey had begun! You have some good ideas. I look forward to keep up with what you are doing.
Bill

Donna Goldsmith said...

Lisa, you have some great ideas. I'm glad you are getting some practice in this course before you start with your students. I look forward to see what you bring together.

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
I think an online book club sounds like fun! When will it start? Do you have some links to other blogs which contain book club as I'd love to see the format?
Cathy
P.S. My G-mail account has my husband's name with mine, thus the "boyce and cathy."

SC Hoosier... said...

I am glad you are able to have students blog at your school. We won't be able to do that right now and that is a disappointment. Pls let us all know what your experiences are as we move forward.
Paula

Geraldine Yates said...

I liked your ideas on listing favorite books with a review and voting on favorite books. Students could post ads on your blog advertizing their favorite book with their original illustrations scanned in.

Stephanie said...

Hey Lisa! Your ideas are super! I like the idea of having the students review and vote on favorites. It reminded me of the exerpts of "Reading Rainbow" where the children told about a favorite book - kind of like an advertisement. I think that would be a big hit! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
:)
Stephanie